Monday, January 26, 2009

Dragon Fruit



Chop, this is info for all of you...



My first time to eat this fruit... the first bite, uiks "takde rase pun..." but the second bite i can taste the sweetness... hehehe dragon fruit; also known as sweet pitaya... this kind of 'cactus' usually can be found at Mexico, Central & south America... also can be found in South east Asia... by mean, Malaysia also cultivate Pitaya.



Here goes the Nutritional information

Dragon fruit served at a hotel in Xi'an Red Pitaya, ready to eat

The typical nutritional values per 100 g of raw pitaya (of which 55 g are edible) are as follows:

Water 80-90 g
Carbohydrates 9-14 g
Protein 0.15-0.5 g
Fat 0.1-0.6 g
Fiber 0.3-0.9 g
Ash 0.4-0.7 g
Calories: 35-50
Calcium 6-10 mg
Iron 0.3-0.7 mg
Phosphorus 16 - 36 mg
Carotene (Vitamin A) traces
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) traces
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) traces
Niacin (Vitamin B3) 0.2-0.45 mg
Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 4-25 mg
They may change subject to cultivation conditions.

The fatty acid compositions of two pitaya seed oils were determined as follows:


Particularly red-skinned pitayas are a good source of Vitamin C.
Pitayas are rich in fiber and minerals, notably phosphorus and calcium. Red pitayas seem to be richer in the former, yellow ones in the latter.
The seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, and in particular Red Pitayas contain very little saturated fat.
Pitahayas also contain significant quantities of phytoalbumin antioxidants, which prevent the formation of cancer-causing free radicals.
In Taiwan, diabetics use the fruit as a food substitute for rice and as a source of dietary fibre.
Pitaya flesh is easy to digest. It supposedly increases excretion of heavy metal toxins and lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Eaten regularly, it is credited with alleviating chronic respiratory tract ailments.

End of info hehhehe

No comments:

TenTanG Aku

My photo
I declare myself as an Observer; I love to watch the 'actor' in the real world... Their characters obviously different from one to another... Then I usually questioning myself, do I look like just like them? Maybe I just can't fit to voice what I feel inside, but this is the place where my fingers start to dance (variety dance styles), dance with the musics created by my mind... if I can't reach the stars above us, just let the stars shinning in my page... Here I am a 'lasykar', fight for myself...

ViSiT ViA Da LiNe